Vegan BBQ Shredded Tofu
Calories: 117 kcal
Author: Sam Turnbull • It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken
1 350g block extra-firm tofu, drained and shredded (see step 2)
1 tablespoon light oil such as canola or vegetable
1 tablespoon soy sauce gluten-free if preferred
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup vegan-friendly BBQ sauce
1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line with parchment paper or lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- There is no need to press the tofu as it will dry out in the oven. Simply drain off the excess water and pat dry. Use the large side of a cheese grater to grate the block of tofu into shreds. Set aside.
Mix the oil, soy sauce, chili powder, smoked paprika, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Add the shredded tofu, and use a spatula to gently toss to evenly coat the tofu in the seasonings.
- Spread the tofu evenly over the prepared pan. Bake for 28 – 33 minutes, stirring the tofu halfway through, until the tofu is browned. For chewier shreds you will want to bake them a little longer, or for more tender shreds bake them a little less.
- Heat the BBQ sauce and water in a pan, and then stir in the baked tofu. The tofu will absorb some of the liquid and it will soften to tofu slightly making the most perfectly meaty texture. Serve hot as a sandwich, in tacos, on nachos, in lettuce wraps, on a baked potato, any way you like! Or allow to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days.
Oil-free option: sub the oil for vegetable broth, aquafaba, or water.
BBQ sauce: feel free to substitute BBQ sauce for any other kind of sauce.
Tofu: extra-firm tofu is essential for this recipe. I tried other firmness, but even firm tofu was too soft to grate successfully. So make sure you get extra-firm.
Serving: 1(recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 508mg | Potassium: 205mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 460IU | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg
HOMEMADE VEGAN BBQ SAUCE
prep time: 5
cook time: 15
total time: 20
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or organic brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon mustard (prepared, not dry mustard)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup water
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all of the ingredients (starting with the ketchup and ending with water). Whisk together then bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced and a thick sauce forms. Set aside to cool.
Once BBQ sauce has fully cooled, transfer it to a glass jar and seal with a lid. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.